Grief, Loss, and Healing
Together, the New York Life Foundation and First Book are equipping educators with resources to support children who are experiencing grief and loss.
The partnership will:
- Expand and update the Grief, Loss, and Healing section on the First Book Marketplace, First Book’s award-winning nonprofit eCommerce site;
- Provide funding for educators to select the books and resources from the First Book Marketplace that best meet their students’ needs. These funds will be available on a first-come, first-served basis for educators serving children in need in the First Book Network, as well as those working in the Grief-Sensitive Schools Initiative (GSSI), part of New York Life’s nationwide effort to better equip educators and other school personnel to care for grieving students;
- Create original age-appropriate conversation guides for educators and program leaders;
- Develop and provide training on how to use this suite of new materials and resources for GSSI ambassadors and the First Book Network; and
- Provide free resources to school communities that experience a traumatic event.
Resources from First Book and the New York Life Foundation
The First Book Marketplace
First Book's curated Grief, Loss, and Healing section includes a collection of nearly 80 books and resources for children and youth ages 0-18.
Bereavement Support from New York Life
The New York Life Foundation funds direct service providers to help grieving children today, as well as scholarly research that will have a long-term impact in the field.
Coalition to Support Grieving Students
The Coalition to Support Grieving Students was convened by the New York Life Foundation and the National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement.
New York Life’s Grief-Sensitive Schools Initiative
The Grief-Sensitive Schools Initiative (GSSI) seeks to better equip educators to care for grieving students.