Día is a nationally recognized initiative that emphasizes the importance of literacy for all children, from all backgrounds, and creatively links them to bookjoy – the gift of reading. This year-round fiesta culminates with Children’s Day, Book Day/El día de los niños, El día de los libros celebrations in April.
Can’t wait to start planning? Here are great ways to get started:
- Check out the Celebrate Día category on the First Book Marketplace to find excellent books perfect for fostering bookjoy with kids of all ages and backgrounds.
- Click here for a FREE downloadable Children’s Day, Book Day planning booklet, with great tips on partners, fundraising and suggested activities for a successful celebration.
- Short on time? Visit the Celebrate Día category on the First Book Marketplace to download the First Book Time Saver: Celebrate Día resource, where you’ll find easy-to-implement tips & resources to help you ensure a meaningful and enjoyable Día celebration!
- Invite your community to spread bookjoy by adopting your Día celebration! Set up your fundraiser now to get books for your celebration and to send home with kids.
- Don’t forget to add your celebration to the National Día Program Registry!
The Mora Award was established by author and poet Pat Mora and her siblings in honor of their parents, and recognizes outstanding schools/programs that celebrate Children’s Day, Book Day (Día) as a way of connecting all children to bookjoy and promoting literacy all year round. The winning program receives a $1,000 credit for brand new books from the First Book Marketplace, and two honor award recipients will each receive a $500 credit.
Submissions for the 2018 Mora Award will be accepted from May 1-June 30, 2018. Click here to read the official rules. The winner will be announced in September 2018.